Friday, May 29, 2009

Taking Time Off

As most of you know, I have been using the Letters to the Editor pages of my local newspaper, the Fort Lee Suburbanite, to gain a larger audience then I would have if I limited myself to only those who are on my e-mail distribution list, or read and/or subscribe to my blog. 

I have now decided to take some time off from these endeavors and have written a Letter to the Editor which I reproduce below:

Much to my regret I must take leave for a while. My letters have taken an inordinate amount of time because I never write without careful and extensive research, for I want to do more than acquaint your readers with my views. I want my letters to be informative and educational because there are too many myth promulgated, too many lies told, too many distortions distributed,  and the media is amiss in not making sure that the record is corrected. Too often they become conveyers of that which they should denounce.

In taking temporary leave of your pages, I want to thank you for allowing my views and the underlying facts to see the light of day. At the same time I want to thank you for printing the views of my critics, because it is only through a lively debate that the reader can judge where the true public interest lies.

In taking this leave I want your readers to be aware that they can find more of my analysis, as well as contrary views, on my blog and they can also e-mail me.

I will respond to any communications received.

Rest assured, I will be back for I have too strong an abiding interest in public affairs to resist for long setting the record straight. 

My personal history as one who escaped Nazi oppression, found a haven in these United States, and had an opportunity to rise from poverty through a college which was tuition free (alas no college any longer offers this opportunity) makes me determined to make my voice heard so that others might not be denied the opportunities I had.

Since truth is the mightiest of the mighty, I seek to find truth in the study of history and to share my insights with 
as many as I can.

Thank you again for the opportunity you have made available to me.

8 comments:

Mark Feinberg of Oakland, California said...

I very much enjoy the commentaries posted and will miss the stimulation that they have provided.
I knew that author spent many, many hours putting each one together and am not entirely surprised that he needs a break. For what it's worth, I consider it very well earned.

Rick Pereira of Claryville, NY said...

Thank you Emil for sharing all your insights, research, and discussions. I have enjoyed reading them and they have engendered a healthy attitude of questioning in my mind, every time I listen to or read the news. I hope it has done the same for many others and look forward your return to the page!"

Caludia Bial, of Fort Lee, NJ said...

Emil, I hope your taking time off for a while means that you will indulge in some recreation.
Whatever the reason, I wish you a good time.

Charlie Dryfoos of West Orange, NJ said...

Thanks for your many commentaries.
Hope you enjoy your vacation in good health and happiness.

Vilathia Sanders of Atlanta, GA said...

I enjoyed your commentaries as well. Hope all goes well with your personal matter. Come back soon.

Ivan Garett of Fort Lee, NJ said...

Emil, I will miss your e-mails. I also looked forward to the Suburban articles every week. Relax and take the time to smell the roses.

Ann Kassahun of Roosevelt, NJ said...

Hi Emil:  I'm slow with the emails, but have really appreciated your efforts and commentary, and can understand that you need a break.  ENJOY and catch up some other things.  Get back to us when you can.  We love you.....

Shel Haas of Fort Lee, NJ said...

I am sorry to hear that Mr. Scheller is taking a leave of absence. I enjoyed the interchanges we had in the paper. I wish him good health and good luck in his undertakings and look forward to his return.