Friday, October 21, 2011

The Media – A PPS on a Postscript On A Final Comment

On October 17th I posted a critical essay from the New York Times headed "The Media – A Postscript On A Final Comment" and called attention to the unreliable nature of its reporting. I particularly called attention to its screaming headlines which have no support in actual facts or statistics and are based entirely on anecdotal quotes cherry picked to support the conclusion, frequently erroneous, that the Times chooses to put forth.

Most particularly I quoted from an article in the New York Times with the headline “Romney Beating Obama in a Fight for Wall St. Cash."

The reason that I felt the need to distribute this PPS is because the Times is exposed even further by a headline in the Washington Post reading "Obama still flush with cash from financial sector despite frosty relations."

Only the Washington Post gives real figures from the FEC final report and explains that while there are fewer Obama contributors from Wall Street, the ones that are giving are contributing larger amounts so that the total take for the Obama campaign is substantially greater than last year and substantially greater than Romney and greater than the whole Republican field.

I make no comment here on whether the continuing support from Wall Street is good or bad. I only focus here on accuracy of reporting and the Times shows itself inaccurate and unreliable.

I urge my readers to continues to read the New York Times but to take its reporting with a grain of salt and to always look for the facts in the article which support, or as is too often the case, do not support the conclusion of the headline or the thrust of the article.

I have not monitored the Washington Post sufficiently to reach a conclusion as to whether, or not the Post is more reliable than the Times, but the facts I have uncovered here are nevertheless instructive.

No comments: